Monday 19 January 2015

Digital & Traditional Collage

Small Numeral Collages

In this mornings session we were asked to make small number collages (1-5) using imagery and type from cutting and sticking magazines. We were given a lot of freedom to do as we wanted to communicate the numbers. I chose quite a basic technique of cutting out shapes to make up the numbers and cutting out letters to make the words. The lettering technique reminds me of the ransom notes that we made which i think works effectively and is relatively simple. The pieces of paper we used were about 2 by 3 inches which made the exercise a little bit tricky. This workshop helped improve my collage skills and i think this would be useful in the future when trying to communicate something as initial sketches or thumbnails.



This simple digital collage below was developed from a random lyric generator online. I found the lyrics, "In jail, in jail, Big Bird and me. We're's in jail, in jail, Big Bird and me" I thought this would be fun to try and communicate through a digital collage. I chose images online of bars (to communicate jail) then big bird (from sesame street) and a picture of an angry man. This was a simple process and i am pleased with the outcome. I thought this exercise was helpful because we had to communicate a complete random message. This was different to what we usually do in collage because it was so random, i think this helped improve our visual communication skills. 



No comments:

Post a Comment